Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Power of Post-its and a Valentine's Freebie

We have been working on asking questions before, during, and after reading various texts.  I used the Comprehension Toolkit for an awesome lesson on questioning.  I cannot say enough wonderful things about this reading toolkit…it really gets my kiddos engaged in nonfiction texts. 
First, I read a nonfiction magazine which was included in the toolkit.  Students had two columns of sticky notes on their clipboards.  They had 2 post-its to write down “what they learned,” and two for “what they wonder.”  It’s amazing what the power of post-its can do!  As soon as I pass them out my kiddos get sooo excited! You can see how hard they were working sitting in different places throughout the classroom.  I often allow my students to sit at various places in the room (where I can see them of course) to really be able to think by themselves.

We met back at the carpet once I was finished reading the magazine and stopping for students to write on their post-its before, during, and after the text. Students then had a chance to share with the class what they learned and what they wondered. It is so neat to see my kiddos write their comments in complete sentences. What a difference from the beginning of the year to now!

We have also been working on counting money.  I just love when we get to this unit! So….I have created a Valentine’s Day money freebie that can be used as pre-test, post-test or simply just for practicing money.  There are three differentiated levels for counting money.  Students are to write the two values on the lines and then compare the amounts using >, < or =.  I hope you can use it with your kiddos!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the VDay freebie…LOVE it! I am your newest follower :)
-Julie
The Techie Teacher

Jayme and Val said...

So glad you liked it! Thanks for following us!! :)

Anonymous said...

Where can I order this book? Glad I found your website. Found ya'll on Pinterest first. Love your boards! Post-it notes are wonderful

Jayme and Val said...

Our district ordered these for our school so I am not exactly sure where they were purchased. You can find more information on their website: http://www.comprehensiontoolkit.com/. I also checked amazon.com and they have a few for purchase as well. You will want to make sure you purchase the toolkit as well as the pack of trade books (if they are sold separately). Best of luck with this purchase!

Post a Comment