Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Rounding

It's that time of the year when we teach our kiddos how to round. I don't mind rounding, except I can never find a method that seems to 'click' with all of my students. In the past I have used the number line. We find our number then look for the 'nearest ten'. Works for many of my kiddos but not all of them. I knew someone else had to have thought of something, so it was off to TpT. I came across this little pack and I was in love!

Rounding with Balloons

In short, you make a balloon around the number you are rounding to. The string 'holds' the number behind it. The number inside the string tells you how many fingers you have to take off of the balloon. If you take off too many, the balloon goes up (round up!) if you can still hold it, it stays down on the ground (round down!). (She does a much better job of explaining this than I do!) My kids absolutely loved the balloon trick. We used our pencils as our balloon strings and it was a great visual for some of my learners whether the balloon was going to go up or down.

After teaching both methods, I let my kids pick which way they liked better. I always find it interesting to see which kids pick certain methods. My favorite is when you tell them they can pick either method and some stare back at you like "I feel like this is a trick...."

I would say that rounding clicked with my students much easier this year thanks to Kelly Ryan. If you do rounding with your kiddos you really should head over her TpT store and check it out!

On a side note, I just purchased all of my 'supplies' for my Valentine's for my kids. I found my idea on Pinterest and I can't wait to put them together. Check back next week as I hope to get them ready this weekend!

1 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great idea!!! I love it - thanks so much for sharing :)

Kelly
First Grade Fairytales

Post a Comment