Thursday, November 15, 2012

Voice

That is one of my least favorite topics to teach my kiddos about in writing. Really. Out of all of the resources I have gathered over the past couple of years, you would think I would finally have it down. When December rolls around and I reflect on my 'voice' lessons from November, I usually feel that 1/3 of my class really grasps the concept and the other 2/3 are thinking "Whew! Glad that is over!"

This is the year though! We have been working so hard to understand what it means when a writer uses voice in their story and I couldn't be happier with the progress we have made. Here is what we have been up to for the past 2 weeks:

The first strategy for adding voice to our stories that we discuss, is making our emotions stand out. We spent a lot of time looking through various picture books and searching for the author's/character's emotions. These are some of the books we previewed:

 




Then we started brainstorming other strategies we could use besides showing our emotions. Here is our anchor chart:


And today was by far my favorite lesson so far this unit. I wrote 3 sentences that could be a part of a story. My kiddos worked in pairs to add voice to what was already written. Check these improvements out:



It's hard to read this one but I love it: "Finally, my chick hatched. P.S.- It's the coolest chick in town".
After I demonstrated how amazed I was at their corrections I had some who were anxious to head back to their seats and write their own stories. How fabulous is this one?!


We still have another week or so of working with voice and I am excited to see where my kiddos take it.

We also wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! It is a bit early, but we're stepping away from posting until after Thanksgiving....it gets to be a bit hectic! Enjoy the time with family and friends, we will be back to catch up soon!

1 comments:

Kelly said...

I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Head over to my blog to find out about it.
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Kelly
Thirsty Firsties

Post a Comment